Thursday 6 January 2011

Journal Entry 44, Title: Licked

Defending Tom Robinson in To Kill a Mockingbird Atticus says, “We were licked a hundred years before we started.” I think Atticus meant that defending black people is an impossible mission, and people in the past have already tried and failed. I think he believes that because the oldest people in town all believed that it is an outrage to defend a black person, and nobody thinks that it’s right to defend a black person. Only a few people are on Atticus’s side in this case. I think he didn’t agree to take the case, but was assigned it by other people, but I think Atticus tried to defend Tom Robinson because he thinks he is innocent. People are mad because Atticus actually works hard to defend Tom Robinson. I think if I was a lawyer, I would probably use the same information as Atticus. I think the prosecution would use the witnesses’ and the victim’s testimony to convict Tom Robinson. I think the accusation brought on Tom Robinson was unjust and ridiculous. Tom Robinson was clearly framed, but nobody believed him just because he was a black man. 



No comments:

Post a Comment