Monday 9 May 2011

Retreat

In the story “A Rose for Emily” by William Faulkner, the main character retreated from society. She shut her self from the outside world and stayed in her own house. Why would a person want to do such a thing? I think there are some possible explanations for her actions. I think a person would want to escape from society because the society makes them “sad”. If a person’s husband is unjustly tried and executed by the laws in society (ex. Tom Robinson), the person would want to escape from society because the society is too oppressing to her. A person might also escape from society because everyone the person knows has died, for example, Emily Dickinson. Emily Dickinson isolated herself from society because all her friends have died. She probably escaped from society because she finds the society unworthy to live in. Some people escape from society because they think the society is corrupt and superficial. People who think the society is superficial might go and live in the woods. In my life, I sometimes feel like withdrawing into my own shell, too. I feel that because my everyday life sometimes become too tedious or boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment