Friday 20 May 2011

Homer’s End

I was very surprised by the end of “A Rose for Emily”, even though I suspected all along that something bad happened inside the mysterious house. After Emily died, people found a skeleton lying on a bed in a room in Emily’s house. I think Miss Emily poisoned Homer Barron to death, because she wants to get married so badly. She is afraid that she will lose another chance of getting married if Homer Barron runs away, so she killed Homer Barron before he could even decide whether or not he will marry her. After Homer Barron is killed, I think Miss Emily purposely arranged his body on the bed in a position that looks like he’s sleeping soundly. I believe the most reasonable motive for Emily to kill is that she wants to live in the day of marriage forever, because she yearned for it for so long, she cannot afford to lose it anymore. I think there is an indentation on the pillow beside Homer’s because Miss Emily lies there so much. I also think that there is gray hair on the pillow beside his decomposed corpse because Miss Emily purposely put it there. She sealed the room after a few years, probably because she couldn’t bear the pain to see that Homer Barron is actually dead. She then put the hair on the pillow as a symbol that she will always be with Homer Barron.

No comments:

Post a Comment