Wednesday 4 May 2011

I Hate Poetry

Why do many people hate poetry? I hated poetry before, so I know the reasons why. In art, most people don’t like abstract expressionism or minimalism because they don’t understand it, they think the artists is just using the name “abstract expressionism “ as an excuse for making very random art. That’s what I thought, too, before I studied art history. Now I like that kind of art because I know their meaning. Similar to art, many people hate poem because they don’t understand it. I hated most poetry before because I think the poet is just writing random stuff down on paper. But after I got to look closely at the poem and tried to understand the poem, I started to like the poem, because I found out that the author actually talked about many things that I myself can relate to. After reading the poem by Marianne Moore, I found out a lot about the function of poem. A good poem does not say, but instead describe to let the reader “fill in the blanks”. For example, imagist poems described scenes of some animals sleeping, walking, side by side on a prairie etc. The poet didn’t tell us in the poem that these are peaceful scenes, instead, we found out the poet is describing peaceful things by imagining the actual scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment