Wednesday 2 March 2011

Slanted Truth


I think “Tell all the truth but tell it slant” might mean to tell all the truth to people, but tell it in a way that people could accept it. For example, if a boss is firing their workers because of the depression, the boss probably won’t tell the workers: “I’m kicking you out because I don’t need you, you’re only going to drag down the company.” The boss would probably tell the workers the “slanted truth”, so that the workers won’t want to kill him. The boss will probably say: “you have worked for this company for a long time, and you have been a very good worker.” After the boss said this, he will continue with: “But recently, the depression has reduced the company’s profits by a huge amount, and we can’t afford to keep so many workers in my company.” Then the boss will get to the point: “I am very sorry, but I have to lay you off.” Telling the “slanted truth” and telling the direct truth will result in a different reaction from the person being told. I think Emily Dickinson’s way of telling the “slanted truth” kept her from being ostracized by her society, since the society that she lived in is very strict and forbids any kinds of activities that the people consider sinful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment